Divorce Proceedings

It’s not uncommon for a spouse to change their mind after filing for divorce. However, unless both spouses change their mind and want to save the marriage, divorce is probably inevitable. The laws are such that a person cannot be forced to remain married to someone if they don’t want to be married to them. If you filed for divorce and would like to know your legal options for withdrawing that filing or postponing it, call a divorce law firm to arrange a free consultation with a divorce lawyer. During that consultation you will learn if the firm’s legal team can help you, and in what ways they can do so. Most divorce lawyer are well versed with the divorce laws of your state and will make every effort to assist you in any way that they can.

If you were the spouse who filed the divorce petition and you have changed your mind, with the help of a divorce lawyer from a firm, you may be able to stop the process. Your lawyer can provide you with information specific to your circumstances, but here is a general overview of the steps to take:

  1. Either go to the courthouse where you filed your divorce petition, or seek the help of a divorce lawyer from a law firm near you. It is necessary for you to complete an official form that seeks to stop the divorce process from continuing. Every jurisdiction has different rules, but most lawyers can make sure you have the right form and that it is filled out correctly and submitted to the proper authority.
  2. Within the official form you will state that you are voluntarily withdrawing or dismissing your divorce petition. Note that you do not have to explain your reason for this.
  3. File the necessary form and submit it to the correct court clerk. Keep a copy for yourself and your spouse. A divorce lawyer can submit the form on your behalf.
  4. Your divorce lawyer will let you know if you are required to serve your spouse with a copy of the dismissal as per state law, and the steps for doing so. They can assist you with this. Otherwise, the court might send your spouse the paperwork on your behalf.

For Legal Guidance You Can Count On, Contact A Trusted Law Firm

Every relationship has its ups and downs. If you filed for divorce but have since changed your mind, you are not the first one to do so, and neither will you be the last person. This is why a system is in place to stop the divorce process. In some cases, it is not possible to reverse the divorce filing, though most often this is the case when the process is nearly complete. However, you should find a legal team that will make every effort to help you arrive at the outcome you most desire. It is encouraged that you to call a family law office office for a free consultation with a divorce attorney can provide you with more detailed information specific to your circumstances.